The List of Reviewers lists all present, whether permanent or temporary, to provide the full scope of expertise present on that date. Lists are posted 30 days before the meeting and are tentative, pending any last minute changes.
The membership panel is a list of chartered members only.
- Development of novel molecular genetic tools for study of central and peripheral nervous systems; neurodegeneration, neurodevelopment, addiction and neuronal function.
- Novel application of existing genetic, genomic and proteomic tools to neuroscience questions.
- Regulation of neural gene expression; sequence and technology based detection of epigenetic regulation via DNA and RNA modifications, chromatin remodeling, post-translational modifications and non-coding RNAs.
- Gene discovery and genetic variation with the aim of investigating typical neurodevelopment, neural function, and neuropathology.
- Methods for gene delivery and genome editing in neurons or glia.
- Molecular imaging technologies for gene expression profiling in neurons and glia; to study neural translational and transcriptional regulation and nervous system disease biomarkers including novel application or modifications of optogenetics.
- Linking genetics to neural phenotypes
- Bioinformatic and computational analysis of neuronal gene expression, proteomic and epigenomic datasets.
Shared Interests and Overlaps
MNG overlaps with multiple study sections that review aspects of nervous system biology or function. When the focus is on that particular context, the application may be reviewed elsewhere. For example, applications that investigate the genetics of chemosensory function will generally be reviewed in Chemosensory Systems (CSS); somatosensory and pain in Sensorimotor Integration Study Section (SMI) or Somatosensory and Pain Systems (SPS); auditory system function and hearing loss in Auditory System (AUD); vision, sensory perception, attention, and other cognitive functions in SPC; embryonic neural development reviewed in Neurogenesis and Cell Fate (NCF); synaptic plasticity in Synapses, Cytoskeleton and Trafficking (SYN); neurodegeneration in Cellular and Molecular Biology of Neurodegeneration (CMND) or Cellular and Molecular Biology of Glia (CMBG); and complex behavioral disorders in Pathophysiological Basis of Mental Disorders and Addictions (PMDA).
Applications focused on rare neurological diseases may be reviewed by MNG; however, studies focused on molecular mechanisms of pathogenesis of rare diseases that include neurological pathologies may be reviewed by Therapeutic Approaches to Genetic Diseases (TAG).
Applications focused on methods of gene delivery and editing in neurons and glia may be reviewed by MNG; applications focused on development of gene therapies for nervous system diseases may be reviewed in TAG.
Applications focused on patient oriented therapeutic and biomarker development for neurodegenerative and cognitive disorders will be reviewed in Clinical Neuroscience and Neurodegeneration (CNN).
Genetics of Health and Disease (GHD) reviews applications where the focus is primarily on the genetic and genomic analyses for the discovery of neurological disease genes. When the focus on the neuroscience rather than on the genetics/genomics, the applications may be reviewed in MNG.