The Intercellular Interactions (ICI) Study Section reviews applications in the area of cell-cell interactions including adhesion, migration, signal transduction and mechanotransduction in the context of development, homeostasis, differentiation and the disease state. The dysregulation of these interactions leading to diseases is also a major area of interest of this study section.
The List of Reviewers lists all present, whether permanent or temporary, to provide the full scope of expertise present on that date. Lists are posted 30 days before the meeting and are tentative, pending any last minute changes.
The membership panel is a list of chartered members only.
- Cell migration, cell adhesion including cell junctions
- Biology of the extracellular matrix, matrix remodeling, matrix metalloproteinases and regulated proteolysis at the cell surface
- Integrin signaling; epithelial-mesenchymal transition (EMT)
- Mechanobiology, specifically mechanotransduction mechanisms including force induced signal transduction between cells and matrix
- Cadherins, crosstalk between adhesion receptors and the cytoskeleton
- Flow of extracellular signals between distinct cells types and populations; paracrine and juxtacrine factors in cell-cell communication
- Cellular interactions mediated through signaling pathways, e.g., Wnt, Notch and Hh in the context of development
- Cell polarity and organization within tissues; angiogenesis
- Carbohydrates and proteoglycans in cell-cell adhesive structures, in signal transduction, in development and in pathogenesis and immunity.
Shared Interests and Overlaps
There are shared interests with Nuclear and Cytoplasmic Structure/Function and Dynamics (NCSD) in the area of cell motility and migration. The studies at cellular level are reviewed in ICI and those at molecular level are reviewed in NCSD. Mechanobiology studies involved in cytokinesis and mitosis are also reviewed in NCSD.
There are shared interests with Membrane Biology and Protein Processing (MBPP) in the area of glycobiology. The glycosylation of proteins as post-translational modifications as well as glycoprotein function in intracellular processes are reviewed in MBPP . Applications with an emphasis on carbohydrates and proteoglycans in cell adhesion/migration are reviewed in ICI
There are shared interests with Development-1 (DEV1) and Development-2 (DEV2). Cell and tissue polarity mediated though chemotactic gradients and ECM interactions are reviewed in ICI. Applications with a focus on basic signaling mechanisms involved in early and late development are reviewed in DEVs. Signaling mediated cellular interactions during development may be reviewed in ICI.
There are shared interests with Hemostasis and Thrombosis (HT) in cell adhesion. Applications studying cellular interactions through cell adhesion are reviewed in ICI. Applications focused on cell adhesion involved in platelet aggregation and thrombosis are reviewed in HT
There are shared interests with Tumor Progression and Metastasis (TPM) in cell migration. Applications studying basic mechanisms involved in cell adhesion and migration are reviewed in ICI. Applications may be reviewed in TPM when the focus is mainly tumor metastasis/invasion.
There are shared interests with Tumor Microenvironment (TME). Applications studying basic mechanisms of cellular/ECM interactions, cell-cell communications, intercellular signaling are reviewed in ICI. Applications studying these biological processes in the context of interaction between tumor cells and stromal cells in the tumor microenvironment are reviewed in TME
There are shared interest with Cellular and Molecular Immunology – A (CMIA) in cell-cell interaction and cell migration if these biological processes are studied in the context of immune responses and inflammation.