The topics covered include basic and clinical aspects of nervous systems disorders, with emphasis on applied research oriented towards developing treatments, diagnostic methods, and models of disease for testing of new treatments.
Among the specific topics covered are psychiatric and neurological conditions, including neurodegeneration (e.g., Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and Multiple Sclerosis), stroke, depression and schizophrenia. The specific types of project include medicinal chemistry and pre-clinical development, toxicology, and some clinical studies to establish proof-of-principle for new or new uses of existing drugs. Also included in this study section is the development of medications for the treatment of pain and tools for use in basic neuroscience research as well as pharmacological interventions for age dependent cognitive and physiological deficits are also covered.
The List of Reviewers lists all present, whether standing members or temporary, to provide the full scope of expertise present on that date. Lists are posted 30 days before the meeting and are tentative, pending any last minute changes.
- Neuropathological events such as Stroke, Spinal Cord Injury and Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Neurodegenerative disorders such as Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s and Parkinson’s diseases.
- Psychiatric disorders such as Autism, Depression and Schizophrenia.
- Neurological disorders such as chronic pain, migraine and neuropathic pain.
- Alcoholism and Drug Addiction.
- Biomarkers to aid in the diagnosis of neurological and neurodegenerative disorders.
- Interventions for age-dependent cognitive and physiological deficits in humans.
- Markers that may predict aging or cellular senescence; inhibitors of senescence.
- Projects may also focus on neurodrug discovery and development, molecular manipulation and engineering, development of specific research reagents and assays, therapeutics, and proteins that interact with and modulate neuroreceptors, transporters and transducers.
Shared Interests and Overlaps