The identification of new biomarkers and the development of new diagnostic methods and tests to aid in the diagnosis of psychiatric, neurological or neurodegenerative diseases are also reviewed in this study section. Also included in this study section are those applications which examine the basic biology of stem cells, animal and human embryonic stem cells, characterization of existing cell lines as well as the development of new cell lines.
The List of Reviewers lists all present, whether permanent or temporary, to provide the full scope of expertise present on that date. Lists are posted 30 days before the meeting and are tentative, pending any last minute changes.
- New biological models to be used in the study of neurological disorders, development or aging: including transgenic, animal and cellular models.
- Assay systems may include development of imaging, detection and/or recording techniques, analytical and system control software, monitoring assay platforms, and cell culture systems.
- New models of development: including transgenic, animal and cellular.
- Biomarkers to aid in the diagnosis of psychiatric, neurological, or neurodegenerative disorders.
- New models of aging: including transgenic, animal and cellular.
- Markers that may predict aging or cellular senescence.
- Development of diagnostic tests to be used in the clinic for the diagnosis of neurological and neurodegenerative disorders.
- Basic biology of stem cells, in vitro culture of blastocysts and embryos; animal and human embryonic and adult stem cells characterization of existing cell lines as well as the development of new cell lines.
- Use of developed and/or harvested stem cells for therapeutic treatments of neuro disorders.
- Novel strategies for animal cloning.
- Development of toxicological and teratological assays in model organisms for identification of birth defects.
Shared Interests and Overlaps
ETTN 13 shares several overlapping and inter-related topics with IMST, SBIB and other panels on ETTN. Three panels, ETTN 13, IMST 10 and SBIB 10, review new instrumentation. This panel emphasizes diagnostics and instruments with clinical implications while SBIR evaluates biomedical sensing, measurement and surgery as well. IMST 10 reviews instrumentation for bioanalytical and biophysical measurements for biomedical research.
Within ETTN, both ETTN (11) Drug Discovery for Aging, Neuropsychiatric and Neurologic Disorders and ETTN 13 overlap in therapeutics. ETTN 13 focuses on tools for drug screening and stem cell topics, while ETTN 11 emphasizes drug development, medicinal chemistry and clinical applications.
For any application that may fall between these primary areas of study, the SROs and ETTN chief confer to place it properly and to ensure that all appropriate expertise is brought to bear.