- Immune responses and vaccines against microorganisms including investigation of available antibodies and therapeutics directly targeting the immune response against those microorganisms
- Antigen and epitope identification, selection and immunogenicity; use of adjuvants; vectors and chimeric carriers; vaccine formulation
- Vaccine production: production methodologies, process development/optimization/scale-up, GMP production and manufacturing of clinical material
- Vaccine and adjuvant delivery systems: bacterial and viral vectors, chimeric vaccine carriers, liposomes, nanoparticles.
- Use of animal models to study vaccines and available immunotherapeutics
Shared Interests and Overlaps:
There are shared interests with Innovative Immunology [AIDC (10)] in the development of vaccines. Small business applications involving the use of vaccines against cancer, autoimmune disease, allergy, asthma, or to aid in transplantation may be reviewed in AIDC (10), whereas applications focused on the investigation of immune responses, therapeutics or novel vaccines against infectious agents may be reviewed here.
There are shared interests with Anti-Infective Therapeutics [AIDC (12)] and Microbial Diagnostics and Detection of Infectious Agents, Food and Waterborne Pathogens, and Methods in Microbial Sterilization, Disinfection and Bioremediation [AIDC (13)] in the development of immunoassays for infectious agents and the development of agents to combat microbial-induced diseases. Small business applications directly targeting the microorganisms may be reviewed in AIDC (12) or AIDC (13), whereas studies evaluating the immune system or immune responses to infectious agents may be reviewed here.
There are shared interests with Biomaterials, Delivery, and Nanotechnology [BST (10)] in biomaterials, nanotechnology, gene, protein and drug delivery technologies. Small business applications involving drug formulation, manufacturing, biocompatibility and toxicity investigations may be reviewed in BST (10), whereas applications studying immune responses and anti-microbial vaccines may be reviewed here.
There are shared interests with Drug Discovery and Development [BCMB (10)]. Small business applications concerning medicinal chemistry, small molecule drug discovery and development, pharmaceutical chemistry, protein engineering and protein chemistry for drug discovery, may be reviewed in BCMB (10), whereas applications studying antimicrobial vaccines and available immune-interfering peptides and proteins may be reviewed here.
There are shared interests with Bioanalytical Chemistry, Biophysics, and Assay Development [IMST (10)] on antibody development for small business. Disease-agnostic assay development, biochemistry and protein engineering including creating synthetic antibodies may be reviewed in IMST (10), whereas use of available antibodies as therapeutic vaccines against infections may be reviewed here.