The F13 Special Emphasis Panel reviews fellowship applications involving virology and viral pathogenesis, bacteriology and bacterial pathogenesis, fungal pathogenesis, parasitology and parasitic diseases, vector biology, the innate and adaptive host responses to these microbes and viruses, and the development of anti-infective agents to treat and prevent infectious disease.
The List of Reviewers lists all present, whether permanent or temporary, to provide the full scope of expertise present on that date. Lists are posted 30 days before the meeting and are tentative, pending any last minute changes.
- Genetics, biochemistry, structure, physiology and behavior of bacteria, archaea, and their phages
- Mechanisms of bacterial commensalism, infection, and disease
- Bacterial factors that alter/affect host cells, or the host aspect of the host pathogen interaction
- Protozoal, helminthic, and fungal pathogens in humans, and animal models
- Viral structure, genetics, infection and replication; cellular and host responses to viral and prion infections; and mechanisms of disease pathogenesis in plants, animals, and humans
- Studies on the emergence, spread, control, and prevention of infectious diseases that affect humans
- The identificationof novel anti-infective agents, for the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases and the study of the evolution, mechanisms, and transmission of resistance
- All aspects of arthropod and molluscan intermediate hosts of parasitic, viral, and bacterial pathogens, including model systems, where the intent is to yield information relevant to human
Overlaps with Closely Related Study Sections
There are shared interests with Fellowships: Immunology and Area (F (07)) in the area of infectious diseases. Fellowship applications that focus on advancing the understanding of the immune response against microbial pathogens may be reviewed in F (07). Fellowship applications that focus on microbial pathogenesis may be reviewed in F (13).
There are shared interests with Fellowships: Genes, Genomes and Genetics (F (08)) in the area of microbiology. Fellowship applications that focus on bacterial genetics, DNA replication, recombination/repair, transcriptional regulation, and evolution may be reviewed in F (08). Fellowship applications that explore bacterial physiology or pathogenesis may be reviewed in F (13).
There are shared interests with Fellowships: Risk, Prevention and Health Behavior (F (16)) in the area of infectious diseases. Fellowship applications that focus on the epidemiology, implementation science, health informatics or ethical issues as related to infectious diseases may be reviewed in F (16). Fellowship applications that address infectious disease transmission and molecular epidemiology may be reviewed in F (13).