MOSS (10) reviews applications that focus on areas of orthopedics, bone and cartilage biology, skeletal muscle, skin and connective tissue, systemic rheumatic diseases, oral cavity and clinical dentistry, and rehabilitation strategies related to impaired musculoskeletal system.
The List of Reviewers lists all present, whether standing members or temporary, to provide the full scope of expertise present on that date. Lists are posted 30 days before the meeting and are tentative, pending any last minute changes.
- Orthopedic surgery, tissue-engineering and bioengineering aspects of orthopedic research; physiological and pathophysiological aspects of bone, cartilage, tendon, and ligament and their repair or replacement; treatment of joint and bone diseases, such as osteoarthritis, joint mechanics, joint replacement, osteoporosis, osteomyelitis, bone fracture, and osteopenia.
- Physiological and pathological aspects of skeletal muscle and exercise; tissue-engineering and bioengineering of muscle for muscle repair or replacement; diagnosis or treatment of muscular dystrophy, myasthenia gravis, myotonia, myopathy, muscle weakness, muscle loss, and sarcopenia.
- Development of methods for diagnosis or treatment of oral and dental diseases, such as periodontal diseases and caries; dental materials and implants; treatment modalities for injuries to the salivary gland and oral mucosa.
- Connective tissue, skin, inflammatory and degenerative conditions of the joints, and systemic rheumatic diseases including assessment and treatment of diseases, disorders or injuries; skin wound healing and skin substitutes; stem-cell based therapies for skin diseases; UV and photobiology of the skin; prevention and treatment of skin diseases.
- Physiological principles of rehabilitation strategies, assistive technologies related to gait analysis and human motion; exercise in relation to musculoskeletal disabilities; monitoring of external body movements; recovery from physical disabilities; orthotics and prosthetics; interventions to restore limb function.
Shared Interests and Overlaps
There are shared interested with the Emerging Technologies and Training in Neurosciences (ETTN) integrated review group (IRG) small business SEPs in the areas of device development, biosensors, prosthetic devices and stroke treatment. Applications focusing in the areas of neuroprosthetics, detection and treatment of stroke patients, mobility aids, device development, sensors for detection, wheelchair and assistive devices with robotic interventions may be assigned to ETTN. Applications that focus on prosthetics for restoring limb function and the rehabilitation strategies and technologies related to post-stroke musculoskeletal disabilities may be assigned to MOSS (10).
There are shared interests with Biomaterials, Delivery, and Nanotechnology [BST (10)] small business SEP in the areas of biomaterials, drug delivery, wound healing and tissue engineering. Applications focusing on the design and development of biomaterials, scaffolds and drug delivery systems may be reviewed in BST (10). Applications focusing on using such biomaterials and tissue scaffolds for treatment of musculoskeletal, oral and dental tissue, and healing of chronic and diabetic skin wounds are reviewed in MOSS (10).
There are shared interests with Surgical Sciences, Biomedical Imaging, and Bioengineering (SBIB) integrated review group (IRG) Small Business SEPs in the areas of imaging, device and software development, and wound healing. Applications focusing on the design and development of imaging systems, surgical wound healing, software or devices for surgical procedures may be reviewed in SBIB SEPs. Applications that focus on using such technologies for diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal, oral and dental and skin diseases, and also healing of skin and chronic wounds may be reviewed in MOSS (10).
There are shared interests with Interdisciplinary Molecular Sciences and Training (IMST) integrated review group small business SEPs in the areas of computational modeling, diagnostic assays and image processing methods. Applications focusing on the development of software, image processing methods, and general diagnostic assays may be reviewed in IMST. Applications that focus on using such software and assays for diagnosis of musculoskeletal, skin, oral and dental diseases may be reviewed in MOSS (10).
There are shared interests with the Immunology (IMM) integrated review group (IRG) small business SEPs in the investigation of skeletal muscle, rheumatic and skin diseases. Applications that focus on the assessment and treatment of skeletal muscle, rheumatic and skin diseases may be reviewed in MOSS (10). Applications that focus on the immunological aspects and immunotherapies regarding skeletal muscle, rheumatic and skin diseases may be reviewed in IMM.
There are shared interests with the Risk, Prevention and Health Behavior (RPHB) Integrated Review Group (IRG) small business SEPs in the areas of rehabilitation and human physical health. Applications focusing on assistive technologies, monitoring devices, and rehabilitation products that have a human or behavioral health intervention focus, e.g., game-based rehabilitation technologies, gait studies for identifying Alzheimer’s disease, etc. may be reviewed in RPHB. Applications that focus on musculoskeletal rehabilitation and external prosthetic devices may be reviewed in MOSS (10).