Basic, pre-clinical, and applied aspects of the design, development, optimization, validation, and application of imaging technologies/methods, imaging systems, their components, hardware/software, mathematical models, and related technologies for studies at the tissue, organ, small or large animal, and human scale are reviewed. Also reviewed are proposals involving molecular imaging including probes and contrast agents and imaging guided interventions and surgery in animal or human.
In addition, the panel reviews applications in the interdisciplinary fields of surgery and bioengineering as well as in the complementary disciplines of surgery and anesthesiology, traumatic and acute injury, and surgical critical care in pre-clinical and clinical studies.
- Design, development, optimization, testing, and implementation of imaging technologies/methods and systems involving all imaging modalities (MRI, CT, optical, PET, SPECT, photoacoustic, ultrasound, multimodal platforms, and others) including but not limited to artificial intelligence and machine learning approaches to imaging analysis
- Development, synthesis, identification, validation, evaluation, and application of novel imaging probes and contrast agents of all sorts
- Development or evaluation of new imaging technologies and protocols to target, guide, or control medical therapies or surgical interventions
- Design, development, and evaluation of surgical devices including endo-surgical procedures, catheter-based surgery, minimally invasive surgery, microsurgical procedures, and robotics as well as point-of-care implantable or wearable physiological monitoring and measurement devices in the context of surgical interventions; regenerative medicine and wound healing for surgical based interventions; and computational modeling/simulations related to surgery
- Injury responses to surgery, trauma, burn, sepsis, hemorrhage, ischemia-reperfusion, or resuscitation; modeling, pathogenesis and therapeutic interventions for shock and multiple organ failure; wound healing/repair including tissue/organ regeneration and remodeling of damaged tissues; mechanisms of general and local anesthetics, and pain management including general and local anesthesia, and anesthetic side effects
Shared Interests and Overlaps
There are shared interests with Fellowships: Cell Biology, Developmental Biology, and Bioengineering [F05] Applications at the interface between a physical science or engineering and biomedical or clinical research may be assigned to [(F15)]. Applications that focus on a fundamental aspect of bioengineering and technology development may be assigned to [(F05)].
There are shared interests with Fellowships: Risk, Prevention and Health Behavior [F16] Applications involving the study of health informatics from a social and behavioral science perspective may be assigned to [(F16)]. Applications related to informatics methods and techniques and software development involving an imaging and surgical science focus may be assigned to [(F15)].
There are shared interests with Fellowships: Oncological Sciences [F09B] Applications involving cancer treatment (drug discovery, radiation, and development of therapeutic strategies) may be assigned to [(F09B)]. Applications involving imaging-guided treatment and surgery including drug delivery may be assigned to [(F15)].