Applications examining the molecular and cellular processes leading to cell death as well as cell specification, differentiation and development including mechanisms that specify or influence migratory events are also reviewed here. Studies examining aging, degeneration and regeneration of neuronal connectivity as well as the consequences of exposure to psychoactive drugs on the above processes are also reviewed in F03A.
The List of Reviewers lists all present, whether permanent or temporary, to provide the full scope of expertise present on that date. Lists are posted 30 days before the meeting and are tentative, pending any last minute changes.
- Synaptic plasticity; the cellular and molecular mechanisms of learning and memory as well as synaptogenesis
- Neuronal trafficking including membrane vesicle trafficking, cytoskeleton and cell adhesion molecules
- Neural development and molecular mechanisms impacting the related diseases/disorders
- Proliferation, differentiation, and migration of neural/glial progenitors and stem cells, including cell lineage, cell fate specification, and neural patterning
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms of axon and dendritic guidance, outgrowth and regeneration
- Molecular mechanisms underlying retinal development and degeneration
- Genetic and epigenetic mechanisms, and the regulation of gene expression
- Cell death and neurodegeneration, including programmed cell death and apoptosis in the nervous system
- Myelin and glial biology, including neuroinflammation, myelination and remyelination
- Molecular mechanisms of cerebral hypoxia and ischemic stroke and their impact on neural pathways
- Redox biology in the nervous system, molecular mechanisms of the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and oxidative stress
Shared Interests and Overlaps
F03A covers broad and inter-related areas with the primary emphasis on cellular and molecular neurobiology using animal or cell-based model systems. Topics on the basic physiology, cellular and molecular biology of the brain overlap with Biophysical, Physiological, Pharmacological and Bioengineering Neuroscience Fellowship Study Section [F03B]; studies on genetic, molecular and cellular mechanisms of neurodevelopment, neurodegeneration, and neuroimmunology overlap with Brain Disorders and Related Neurosciences Fellowship Study Section [F01A], Cell Biology, Developmental Biology and Bioengineering [F05], and Immunology Fellowship and Area Study Section [F07]; applications where the primary focus is sensory or behavioral neuroscience may be reviewed in Behavioral Neuroscience Fellowship Study Section [F02A] or Sensory and Motor Neuroscience Cognition and Perception Neuroscience Fellowship Study Section [F02B].