*Ends after February/March 2023 review meetings
The F01A study section reviews fellowship applications with an emphasis on clinical neuroscience and disease.
The science proposed may investigate aspects of neuroplasticity, neurodegeneration, neuroimmunology, developmental brain disorders, TBI, stroke and autism. They may often employ brain imaging, electrophysiological recording, deep brain stimulation or computational modeling, but may also utilize cellular/molecular, genetic or electrophysiological methods. Studies may focus on the underlying mechanisms of a disorder or potential therapeutics and/or treatments. Either animal models or human subjects may be used.
The List of Reviewers lists all present, whether standing members or temporary, to provide the full scope of expertise present on that date. Lists are posted 30 days before the meeting and are tentative, pending any last minute changes.
- Therapeutic treatments for brain injury and diseases including neuroprotection, immuno-therapeutics, cell transplantation, nanotechnology and deep brain stimulation
- In vivo neuroplasticity and neuroprotection studies related to epilepsy and other brain diseases
- Therapeutic strategies to enhance recovery of function after spinal cord injury, stroke, ischemia and traumatic brain injury
- In vivo studies of mechanisms underlying Alzheimer’s, autism, schizophrenia, depression and bipolar disorders
- Therapeutic approaches for behavioral, cognitive and emotional disorders
- In vivo analysis of mechanisms and therapeutics for central nervous system tumors
- Behavioral, cognitive, emotional and biological factors involved in the etiology of disorders
- Diagnosis, nosology, course and outcome of neurological and mental disorders
- Behavioral and pharmacologic interventions/treatments; adherence to behavioral and pharmacologic treatments
Shared Interests and Overlaps
Fellowship panels are broad and cover inter-related areas. Assignments are made based on the primary emphasis of the proposed research. There are some overlaps between topics reviewed by fellowship study sections. For example, in F01A, topics involving neuroplasticity, neurodegeneration, and neuroinflammation are shared with Neurodevelopment, Synaptic Plasticity and Neurodegeneration Fellowship Study Section [F03A], while topics related to behavioral disorders overlap with Behavioral Neuroscience Fellowship Study Section [F02A]. For any application that may fall between primary areas of study, the CSR Division of Receipt and Referral, IRG chiefs, and SROs confer to place it properly and to ensure that all appropriate expertise is brought to bear.
Learning and Memory, Language, Communication and Related Neurosciences Fellowship Study Section [F01B]
Sensory and Motor Neuroscience Cognition and Perception Neuroscience Fellowship Study Section [F02B]