*Ends after February/March 2023 review meetings
The F02A study section reviews fellowship applications with an emphasis on behavioral studies designed to further our understanding of the nervous system as well as neurological and mental disorders. Applications in this study section often propose science that employs a behavioral paradigm coupled with non-behavioral approaches such as neuroimaging, microdialysis, in vivo electrophysiological recording, or genetic studies such as analysis of early gene expression, gene suppression/knockout studies or epigenetic manipulations. Applications include a wide range of model systems from humans, non-human primates to rodents and invertebrates. In addition, to understanding the mechanisms underlying behavior, F02A also reviews applications examining the effects of hormones, stress or substance abuse on behavior.
The List of Reviewers lists all present, whether standing members or temporary, to provide the full scope of expertise present on that date. Lists are posted 30 days before the meeting and are tentative, pending any last minute changes.
- Effects of the interactions between environment and neural development such as studies into the effects of social interaction, isolation, stress, aggression, mood disorders, maternal-offspring interaction or aging
- The effects of hormones on behavior during development or adulthood, such as studies examining acute or chronic stress, sex differences or maternal behavior
- Responses to motivational stimuli such as food, fear and stress
- Behavior related to substance abuse such as drug reward, drug sensitization, drug seeking, drug relapse and underlying neural mechanisms
- Comorbidity of substance abuse and psychiatric disorders
- Cognitive behaviors, learning and memory, and social emotional behavior processes, especially those centered in the limbic system, prefrontal cortex, or amygdala
- Psychophysiological responses to and functional consequences of affect and stress
- Neurobehavioral pharmacology, animal models of psychological disorders and cognitive behavioral therapy for mental disorders and substance abuse
Shared Interests and Overlaps
F02A panel reviews applications for a broad spectrum of research related to all aspects of neural behaviors. Assignments are made based on the primary emphasis of the proposed research. In F02A, topics involving neurological and mental disorders, including the underlying mechanisms or potential treatments of a disorder, are shared with Brain Disorders and Related Neurosciences Fellowship Study Section [F01A]; sensory, motor and cognitive function areas overlap with Sensory and Motor Neuroscience Cognition and Perception Neuroscience Fellowship Study Section [F02B]; endocrinology, nutrition, and reproductive physiology/pathology are shared with Integrated Review Group Fellowship Panel [F06]; and socioenvironmental factors with the public health and healthcare areas overlap with Fellowships: Risk, health and healthcare [F16].