F10C reviews fellowship applications in 2 main areas 1) in the basic and clinical aspects of the vascular system and hematology and 2) in aspects of surgery, imaging, and bioengineering. Applications reviewed include clinical studies, animal models of disease, and in vitro studies of the physiology of vascular/hematology organ systems and its function in health or disease. Basic, pre-clinical, and applied aspects of the imaging technologies/methods, imaging systems, hardware/software, mathematical models, and related technologies for studies at the tissue, through organism level are also reviewed. Molecular imaging with probes and contrast agents and imaging guided interventions and surgery in animals or humans are also considered. Applications from the interdisciplinary fields of surgery and bioengineering, complementary disciplines of surgery and anesthesiology, traumatic and acute injury, and surgical critical care are reviewed.
- Genetic and molecular biological approaches to vascular systems.
- Vessel wall biology and pathobiology of the blood vessels leading to atherogenesis and immune mechanisms in vascular inflammation and atherosclerosis.
- Lipoprotein interactions with vascular cells and matrix components.
- Endothelial and smooth muscle cell biology, reactive oxygen/nitrogen species and oxidized lipoproteins on vascular cells.
- Hemostasis (platelets and coagulation), hematopoiesis and leukogenesis.
- All stages of design through to implementation of imaging technologies/methods and systems involving all imaging modalities (MRI, CT, optical, PET, SPECT, photoacoustic, ultrasound, multimodal platforms, and others) including but not limited to artificial intelligence and machine learning approaches to imaging analysis.
- All stages of development through to application of novel imaging probes and contrast agents.
- Development or evaluation of new imaging technologies and protocols to target, guide, or control medical therapies or surgical interventions.
- Design, development, and evaluation of surgical devices including endo-surgical procedures, catheter-based surgery, minimally invasive surgery, microsurgical procedures, and robotics as well as point-of-care implantable or wearable physiological monitoring and measurement devices in the context of surgical interventions; regenerative medicine and wound healing for surgical based interventions; and computational modeling/simulations related to surgery.
- Injury responses to surgery, trauma, burn, sepsis, hemorrhage, ischemia-reperfusion, or resuscitation; modeling, pathogenesis and therapeutic interventions for shock and multiple organ failure; wound healing/repair including tissue/organ regeneration and remodeling of damaged tissues; mechanisms of general and local anesthetics, and pain management including general and local anesthesia, and anesthetic side effects.
Shared Interests and Overlaps
There are shared interests with Fellowships: Immunology and Area – [F07]. Applications with an emphasis on hematopoietic stem cells, erythropoiesis, atherosclerosis, myelopoiesis associated with vascular diseases, and applications involving immune processes or infection where the target tissue physiology is the readout or endpoints may be reviewed by F10C. Applications with a focus on lymphocyte development may be assigned to [(F07)].
There are shared interests with Physiology and Pathobiology of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems [ F10A ] Applications involving basic and clinical aspects of cardiovascular and respiratory systems may be assigned to [(F10A)]. Applications involving basic and clinical aspects of the vascular and hematological systems may be assigned to [(F10C)]
There are shared interests with Fellowships: Cell Biology, Developmental Biology, and Bioengineering [F05] Applications at the interface between a physical science or engineering and biomedical or clinical research may be assigned to [(F10C)]. Applications that focus on a fundamental aspect of bioengineering and technology development may be assigned to [(F05)].
There are shared interests with Fellowships: Risk, Prevention and Health Behavior [F16] Applications involving the study of health informatics from a social and behavioral science perspective may be assigned to [(F16)]. Applications related to informatics methods and techniques and software development involving an imaging and surgical science focus may be assigned to [(F10C)].
There are shared interests with Fellowships: Oncological Sciences [F09B] Applications involving cancer treatment (drug discovery, radiation, and development of therapeutic strategies) may be assigned to [(F09B)]. Applications involving imaging-guided treatment and surgery including drug delivery may be assigned to [(F10C)].