The ten study sections comprising the Integrative, Functional, and Cognitive Neuroscience [IFCN] IRG review applications within a very wide range of neuroscience research aimed at furthering our understanding of how the nervous system is organized and functions at an integrative, systems level. Specific areas reviewed by the IFCN IRG include: studies of the neural basis of emotional and motivational behavior; regulation of function, at the systems level, by neuroendocrine and neuroimmune influences; the analysis of system function under varying behavioral states, such as sleep and hibernation; the basis of biological rhythms; the maintenance of homeostasis; chemosensation, hearing, balance, touch, somatosensation, and visual perception; motor systems and sensorimotor integration; the integration of multisensory information; the neurobiological basis of learning, memory and other cognitive processes; computational and theoretical models of cognitive processes; mechanisms underlying neural coding of complex stimuli (e.g., pattern recognition, spatial transformations, speech perception); and attention and its effects on information processing in the nervous system. Research proposed in applications reviewed by study sections in the IFCN IRG may have relevance to disorders or disease processes, but the emphasis would be on the effect of the process on the structure or function of the system under investigation, rather than on the disease process itself.
In addition to this IRG, the Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Neuroscience [MDCN] and Brain Disorders and Clinical Neuroscience [BDCN] IRGs within CSR focus on the review of neuroscience-related applications, and the Biobehavioral and Behavioral Processes [BBBP] IRG also has some shared interests with the IFCN IRG. Please see the descriptions and shared interest statements of these IRGs for a complete description of their review venues.
- Auditory System Study Section AUD
- Chemosensory Systems Study Section CSS
- Neurobiology of Learning and Memory Study Section LAM
- Neurotoxicology and Alcohol Study Section NAL
- Neurobiology of Motivated Behavior Study Section NMB
- Neuroendocrinology, Neuroimmunology, Rhythms and Sleep Study Section NNRS
- Sensorimotor Integration Study Section SMI
- Mechanisms of Sensory, Perceptual, and Cognitive Processes SPC
- Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Special Emphasis Panel ME/CFS SEP
- Somatosensory and Pain Systems Study Section SPS