The topics covered include basic and clinical aspects of psychiatric and neurological disorders, with emphasis on applied research oriented towards developing treatments, diagnostic methods, and models of disease for testing new therapies. The specific topics covered are schizophrenia, depression, suicide, and substance use disorders. It also covers pain, stroke, epilepsy, etc. The specific types of projects include medicinal chemistry and pre-clinical development, toxicology, and some clinical studies to establish proof-of-principle for new or new uses of existing drugs.
The List of Reviewers lists all present, whether standing members or temporary, to provide the full scope of expertise present on that date. Lists are posted 30 days before the meeting and are tentative, pending any last minute changes.
- Psychiatric disorders such as autism, obsessive compulsory disorders, psychosis, schizophrenia, etc.
- Mood disorders such as depression, anhedonia, bipolar disorder, suicide, etc.
- Alcoholism and substance use disorders
- Eating disorders
- Neurological disorders such as chronic pain, migraine, and neuropathic pain.
- Stroke and ischemic brain injuries
- Acute spinal and brain traumatic injuries
- Epilepsy and hyperexcitability induced CNS injuries
- Biomarkers for diagnosis of neuropsychiatric and neurological disorders and conditions
- Projects may also focus on neurodrug discovery and development, molecular manipulation and engineering, development of specific research reagents and assays, therapeutics, and proteins that interact with and modulate neuroreceptors, transporters and transducers.
Shared Interests and Overlaps
Small Business: Drug discovery for Aging, neurodegenerative, and Neurological Disorders – AN (11)
Small Businesses: Neuroscience Assays, Diagnostics, Instrumentation and Interventions – NV (13)